Forum

Discuss everything South Park with fans from around the world!

Page 1 of 2 28 posts 1, 2  Next
Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostTue Apr 07, 2009 8:47 pm OfflineSite Admin
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2378The Internet
Episode 1305 is only hours away from its premiere. This is the fifth week of our seven week run. We may be a bit tired in the office, but that won’t prevent another great episode of South Park from being produced. Be excited.
But what is it about South Park that gives it so much depth? I would argue that it’s the combination of humor and socio-political commentary that makes South Park such a valuable part of American Culture. Not everyone would agree.

My grandmother believes that South Park consists entirely of toilet humor. However, Matt and Trey are one step ahead of her. Their creation of Terrance and Phillip, perhaps in defiance of more conservative viewers like my grandmother, underscores what a show with just “fart jokes” really would be like and contrasts with the nuanced themes written in to South Park episodes.

My grandmother is almost 90. She has lived through the depression , WWII, The Korean War, Vietnam, the Assassination of JFK, Watergate, and Michael Bay’s entire career. She has seen true evil in this world and continues to live. Yet, she would (I pray she has never actually watched this) balk at the cartoon image of Martha Stewart “queefing” sparkles and ribbons from last week’s episode. It is this sort of obtuseness that has prevented so many people from seeing South Park as not only an hysterical cartoon, but also an intellectual dialogue on many social and political issues during it’s thirteen year long run.

That being said, the subject of toilets, if not toilet humor, has dominated the South Park office for some time now. After a few weeks of poor toilet etiquette, a sewer line broke; As a result, a certain PA had to mop up fecal water in the South Park HD Studio bathroom. That may not be as glamorous as recording back round voices for a show late Tuesday night, but sh*t needs to be taken care of.

That’s exactly the attitude the South Park office has, which is why you, the viewer, will get a timely, hilarious, and insightful episode tomorrow night - and perhaps a fart joke or two. But, farts are funny. Sorry Grandma, it’s true.

-Nathan R. Chaffetz, Production Assistant

P.S. We had lunch from a certain upscale China bistro today, so maybe we are full of sh*t after all.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostTue Apr 07, 2009 9:00 pm Offline
  • YIM
Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:40 am438
South Park isn't all about fart humor :).
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostTue Apr 07, 2009 9:47 pm
Nathan R. Chaffetz, Production Assistant wrote:
Episode 1305 is only hours away from its premiere. This is the fifth week of our seven week run. We may be a bit tired in the office, but that won’t prevent another great episode of South Park from being produced. Be excited.

My grandmother believes that South Park consists entirely of toilet humor.
. . . a sewer line broke; As a result, a certain PA had to mop up fecal water in the South Park HD Studio bathroom.

P.S. We had lunch from a certain upscale China bistro today, so maybe we are full of sh*t after all.

Sorry to hear you had to mop up, Nathan. I've been in such a bathroom before where the sewer line broke too. Not pretty for either the eyes or nose :cartmannohat:

P.F. Chang's ? :wink:

Looking forward to 1305. The clip looks good re: jokes.

What your Grandma must have seen in her life so far. 8)

Thanks for this update. Good luck on 1305.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostTue Apr 07, 2009 11:16 pm Offline
Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:20 pm176
I think SP gets a lot of credit; a freakin' Peabody ought to be enough ;)
Though perhaps its a greater honor if it can make a grandparent laugh their asses off.

Either way, awards are ultimately superficial. What counts is that you guys rock.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 2:23 am Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18894I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
I wholly agree with you on the "combination of humor and socio-political commentary". ...I like to think that my Grandpa Richard might have gotten a kick out of some of it, much as my dad has. But Grandma Rose, (who is also almost 90)... n-no. Not-not so much. (She thought that Friends was "vulgar".)

Nathan wrote:
That being said, the subject of toilets, if not toilet humor, has dominated the South Park office for some time now. After a few weeks of poor toilet etiquette, a sewer line broke; As a result, a certain PA had to mop up fecal water in the South Park HD Studio bathroom.
*Hurgh*... doh godh... *gerreah*... *halk*... Image Sorry. And courage... courage.

I hope you got more than a roller mop and a rubbermaid bucket to do the job. Still it could've been worse. That happened at my Uncle's house once, and it came out in all the sinks, showers, tubs, and his pool. :shock:
:D I also bet you had to poop real bad when you were right in the middle of the cleanup too. (Murphy's law and all)
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 am Offline
Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:49 pm0
Damn... Sorry Nate. I've been using that one relentlessly. I just thought Beary Bear and Mysterion were leaving presents.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 am Offline
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:46 am1466Ireland
dude,are you a bot?
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 10:59 am Offline
Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:39 pm1
Nathan wrote:
That being said, the subject of toilets, if not toilet humor, has dominated the South Park office for some time now. After a few weeks of poor toilet etiquette, a sewer line broke; As a result, a certain PA had to mop up fecal water in the South Park HD Studio bathroom.

That's what happens when you order out P.F. Chang's for the crew.

It may be tempting for some people I imagine to write-off last episode "Eat, Pray, Queef" and many other episodes as toilet, vulgar, disgusting, whatever humor. But it seems where there is toilet humor, if that's what it is to be called, there is also an underlying message in every episode. so it's not just one thing, or another - but many things.

". . .water, bread, and margaritas - yhay." -Randy
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 11:30 am Offline
Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:48 pm3652anywhere
big keny wrote:
dude,are you a bot?

They aren't bots, BGK... They're just some different people that work on South Park. Nall is an account used by all four PAs and whoever else needs it. Same thing with Buttersdad, and Beary Bear, I have no idea.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 11:46 am Offline
Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:46 am1466Ireland
ok
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 12:15 pm Offline
Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:02 am498My own private torture chamber
I'd rather clean up fecal water at the SP office than at Walmart.

And my grandpa (he's 74) loves South Park. :wink: His *fav* is Cartman.
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 1:29 pm Offline
Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:43 pm18894I was over nah, but now I'm over heah.
KennysDad wrote:
Damn... Sorry Nate. I've been using that one relentlessly. I just thought Beary Bear and Mysterion were leaving presents.

:lol:^12 I can't begin to tell you how much this cracked me up. :D
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 2:38 pm OfflineSite Admin
Thu May 20, 2004 7:52 am2378The Internet
RideTheLightning wrote:
big keny wrote:
dude,are you a bot?

They aren't bots, BGK... They're just some different people that work on South Park. Nall is an account used by all four PAs and whoever else needs it. Same thing with Buttersdad, and Beary Bear, I have no idea.

Hey, I am my own otter :(
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 2:43 pm Offline
Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:10 pm11176N/A - I'm only part of your imagination.
RideTheLightning wrote:
big keny wrote:
dude,are you a bot?

Um.. no, they're all different people. He is his own otter. :lol:
Re: Production Blog Entry for 04/07/2009 PostWed Apr 08, 2009 2:45 pm
nall wrote:
RideTheLightning wrote:
big keny wrote:
dude,are you a bot?

Hey, I am my own otter :(

The above post is from Nall himself :)

about 7 hours 15 minutes to go here in the Pacific Time Zone
about 4 hours, 15 minutes to go in the Eastern Time Zone

Best of luck, guys

Hope that sewer gets repaired. I'm in L.A. you can use mine for now if you need to.

-BC

Sort by  
Page 1 of 2 28 posts 1, 2  Next